Thursday, December 20, 2012

Walden Claims Graduate Students Don't Have Different Learning Styles

After many emails I finally got an answer to my question regarding how Walden can go against everything they teach us in our classes.  Now, I got an answer, I didn't say I got a good answer.

Here was the response I received today (apparently as adults we no longer have learning preferences or needs-although research would prove this wrong in a heartbeat, and we no longer need to have meaningful authentic tasks-and we can be assessed on things the university has not addressed and that STILL qualifies them to be accredited)  I will admit, they attempted to answer this question to cover their behinds..but I ask you, how does this reply sit with you?  After all, I can see how she may agree with this, she has NEVER taught in the elementary or high school setting (and yet claims to understand what teachers are faced with on a day to day basis).  


Ms. Hart,

I encourage you to read (or re-read) the entire section on assessments in the M.S. in Education Candidate Handbook.  As mentioned in my initial email below, Dr. Thurmond, the Dean, and I have provided you with the answer to your question around assessments in the program.

Also, I really want to caution you against comparing the teaching and learning methodologies faculty utilize with our M.S. in Education candidates (adult learners in a graduate program) to how one would teach students in a P-12 system (children).    There are distinct differences in teaching and learning methodologies for children and adults, which is why you will find we have numerous programs that focus on teaching children and programs that focus on teaching  adults.   

So, in my final response to your question,  “...how Walden can justify its practices (the portfolio specifically) going against the very principles they teach us in class (differentiated assignments and assessments to meet the diverse needs of students)”.  My answer is this,  we are teaching adult candidates in a graduate program, and the learning and teaching theories for teaching children in a P-12 setting should not apply to teaching adults in a graduate program. 

Lastly, I have to disagree with you that social change was not addressed, or explained, in any of your courses.   It is covered throughout the program, from beginning to end.  I am confident that it is covered in EDUC 6610, the Walden Catalog and Student Handbook, the M.S. in Education Candidate Handbook, every syllabus in the program, and the WaldenU.edu website-- http://www.waldenu.edu/about/social-change 

----------------------------------------------------------

Thank you,
Kelley Costner, Ed.D.
Associate Dean, Undergraduate & Master's Programs
Walden University
The Richard W. Riley College of Education and Leadership

1 comment:

  1. Humm...
    After rereading the answer... I am seriouly puzzled.
    I do have to stay I understand social change well, however I work for Special Olympics and social change is a huge part of what we (I) do.
    I have had the background knowledge in social change. If one did not, I could see how it is very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete