Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Cognitivism in Practice


The Cognitive Learning Theory focuses on how learning is occurred, and what goes on inside the brain during learning.  It states that learning is strengthened with each networked connection made, and that learning is increased when multiple senses are addressed in lessons or learning experiences (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011).  Luckily for educators, there are numerous resources available to enhance lessons thanks to the wonderful world of technology. 

“The technology provides you with editable visual aids and multimedia resources that appeal to a number of learning styles”  (Pittler, Hubbel, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007).  Research has shown that the more ways students are exposed to material, the more ways they have to retrieve the information.  For example, if we only talk at our students, we will only be giving them auditory information, which will not meet the needs of visual, kinesthetic, or other types of learners.  If however we present material using a variety of instructional methods, students are more likely to recall the information because they have experienced it multiple times since they processed the information through multiple senses. 

One great learning tool that is available through the use of technology is virtual field trips.  These allow your students to participate in learning experiences that would not be possible without the use of technology.  For example, if students are learning about rain forests, but live in Indiana, they can simply go online to find videos that allow them gain a better understanding of what the rain forest looks and sounds like.  Without these real images and sound clips, students might establish misconceptions about the rain forest.

Other great learning tools, which are sometimes hard to find for particular subjects, are simulations where students actively get to participate in a scenario and are faced with problem solving skills.  These activities can make students gain a better understanding of what it would be like to live through such an experience and they will cause them to use higher order thinking as they apply what they’ve learned to complete a specific assignment or task.  By being in charge of the decision-making, simulations really give students power and cause them to become engaged in their learning.  They construct meaning as they are faced with the consequences of their actions and make connections throughout the experience. 

I feel there should be more educational simulations available to completely immerse students in the learning experience.  If anyone has links to simulations you have used, please post them to my blog.  I think if I ever decide to leave the classroom, I would be happy creating virtual simulations (with the help of a tech team to put my ideas into action, of course) to make the learning come alive for future generations. 

Note taking is a skill in which students must be able to decipher which information is pertinent and which can be ignored.  Even as I read the generalizations in our text, I was tempted to write down the generalizations word for word.  One statement that really stood out to me was, “To effectively delete, substitute, and keep information, students must analyze the information at a fairly deep level” (Pittler, et al, 2011).   If you stop and think about this, it really is true.  I personally like to copy information word for word as it helps me to internalize what I have read because I am processing it multiple times.  I see the information when I read it, I read it quietly as I restate the words to myself, sending messages down my arm and to my hand, telling it what to write, and then I visually see the information again as I reread what I have written.  Even with all of this exposure to the material, it still takes effort to put information into my own words. 

With the use of technology note taking can come in many forms.  It can be created in a word processing document and follow the typical outline form that many of us were taught to us or it can come to life to meet the needs of our “connected” students.  For example, students can use Glogster (www.glogster.com) to create a poster with text, images, and music to share their learning.  Students can create concept maps online or use programs to embed links to videos or other resources to enhance their learning.  Document sharing services such as GoogleDocs allows users to collaborate to create notes, allowing for others to check for accuracy and to offer other perspectives. 

 Through the use of technology we can help learning experiences come to life for our students.  “Multimedia is very effective because it helps them both activate prior knowledge an develop a mental model to help them understand new information: (Pittler, et al, 2011).  Through the use of technology we are allowing students to become exposed to new information and process the information in more ways since they are experiencing it through multiple senses.  By creating learning experiences such as these, we are giving our students more means to retrieve the information, we are increasing the number of connections they are making, and we will greatly benefit their learning experiences. 

References
Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K.  (2007).  Using technology with classroom instruction that works.  Alexandria, VA:  ASCD.
Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011). Program five: Cognitive learning theory [Video webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Retrieved from http://laureate.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=5700267&CPURL=laureate.ecollege.com&Survey=1&47=2594577&ClientNodeID=984650&coursenav=0&bhcp=1

4 comments:

  1. I am also interested in educational simulations. My area is senior high language arts. Have you ever used them in your classroom? Do you have any sites or samples that I could access? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not used many digital simulations in my classroom but I have done a few using paper and pencil. For example, I did a unit on the three branches of government and the students were divided into groups and acted out the jobs of the three branches after they had researched them. It was a great experience. I also taught a lesson called Patriots or something for the Revolution.

      I have binders in my class that a teacher (and former parent of one of my students) gave me a few years back, for Social Studies and Science simulations. These can be found at http://www.teachinteract.com/c/index.html?nocache@2+s@8Qdyt1eqQ_i72 and they have every subject area, however I don't know how many are digital or technology based. They are pretty extensive units so at times I had to just pick and choose various components of the unit.

      Delete
  2. I just did a simulation for the food chain with a student I tutored recently. It gave me a new appreciation for them. Instead of telling students from the beginning why something is happening, it allows them to manipulate the variables in order to determine the relationships themselves. I believe this provides a more meaningful connection that students are more inclined to remember, which is a core concept of Cognitive Learning Theories! It was amazing to watch the wheels turn as a new hypothesis was created and tested until a conclusion could be made.

    The website if your interested is, http://www.learner.org/courses/envsci/interactives/ecology/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome! Thank you -- I'm going to the site right now!

    ReplyDelete