Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Personal GAME Plan




“Learning to teach generally, and to teach with technology specifically, are lifelong journeys” (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009, p. 1) As teachers, we must be self-directed learners as we constantly learn about new teaching strategies, new content, and how to incorporate technology in our lessons to prepare our students for their technology based futures.  Our text, “Technology Integration for Meaningful Classroom Use:  A Standards-Based Approach, suggests using the GAME Plan for self-directed learning, which involves setting goals, taking action, monitoring and evaluating professional growth (2009).

The International Society for Technology in Education has identified five standards for “evaluating the skills and knowledge educators need to teach, work, and learn in an increasingly connected global and digital Society” (ISTE, 2012).  Although I feel I have room for improvement in each area, the two areas I will focus on at this time are standard two, and standard five.

Standard Two states that, “Teachers design, develop, and evaluate authentic learning experiences and assessment incorporating contemporary tools and resources to maximize content learning in context and to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes identified in the NETS-S”.  It has been a personal goal of mine to incorporate more authentic experiences in my classroom to help my students to make connections with the content we are covering in class to how it relates to the real world.  Herrington and Kervin argue that, “Technology use in classrooms is often employed for all the wrong reasons” (2007, p. 219).  They go on to say, “Technology presents the opportunity to employ powerful cognitive tools that can be used by students to solve complex and authentic problems” (Herrington & Kervin, 2007, p. 219). 
 
Standard Five states:  “Teachers continuously improve their professional practice, model lifelong learning, and exhibit leadership in their school and professional community by promoting and demonstrating the effective use of digital tools and resources”  (ISTE, 2012).

The action I plan to take to accomplish these two goals involves a number of steps.  First, I will continue my Action Research Project I have started through my Walden courses which also covers other areas of the GAME plan.  According to Cennamo, et al, “Action research appears to be a particularly effective way to monitor and evaluate classroom innovations, such as new technology uses” (2009, p. 11) This project focuses on adding more authentic experiences to my teacher repertoire by researching online, connecting with other educators, and attending conferences.  In addition to this, I plan on working closely with my technology department to learn new ways to incorporate technology into my classroom.  I meet with our tech guys on a weekly basis to share what I’m doing and to see if they have suggestions on more effective ways, or ways to extend my lessons. I am also a member of our school’s technology team and as a result, I get the opportunity at least once a year to visit other schools to see first-hand how other teachers are using technology to support their instruction.  This has proven to be very informative and I always find myself rejuvenated and excited to get back into my classroom to try out the new things I have learned. 

In addition to furthering my own professional development, I also strive to share what I have learned through my Walden classmates and professors, as well as my own discoveries, with my technology-timid co-workers.  To convince my co-workers of the positive impact technology can have on teaching, I often share what we are doing in class.  I also work with teachers to see what skills they want to cover, and I suggest ways that they can gradually incorporate technology into their lessons.  With each co-worker I first assess their comfort and skill level and I try to make suggestions that will allow them to be successful, allowing them to gain confidence and excitement for incorporating more technology in their lessons in the future. 
 
In order to stay focused on this goal, I find it is helpful to have a timeline in place. The timeline can help me to identify which months we have professional development, conferences, or a visit to other schools.  My goal is to acquire one new strategy or resource each month and to implement at least one authentic experience each semester.  On the off months I will need to set aside time to research for resources online, or to meet with co-workers either to share ideas, or to assist them with developing lessons with supporting technology.  As I get more of these under my belt, I will increase the frequency of these lessons.  Since I plan to acquire these skills through a variety of methods, it is easy to lose focus at times, so I find keeping a journal is helpful.  “The key to effective reflection is the ability to go beyond a simple description of what happened to consider why it happened, how it is connected to other events, and what adjustments should be made to subsequent actions based on this understanding”(Cennamo, et al, 2009, p. 11).   These reflections will help me to remember the entire process and it will allow me to identify my successes as well as areas that still need strengthened.

As an educator, it is crucial to stay current on technology and how to incorporate it into the classroom effectively.  The GAME plan is a great way to facilitate this process by organizing the steps that teachers take, while helping them to focus on their goals and the steps to achieve them. 

References

Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer.  (2009).  Technology integration for meaningful classroom use:  A standards-based approach.  (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.).  Belmont, CA:  Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

Herrington & Kervin.  (2007).  Authentic learning supported by technology:  Ten suggestions and cases of integration in classrooms.  Educational Media International, 44(3), 219-236.  Retrieved from the Academic Search Complete database.

International Society for Technology in Education.  (2008).  National education standards for teachers (NETS-T).  Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-teachers  

7 comments:

  1. What struck me most about your post is the time line.
    I would be lost without a timeline! I feel time lines are important in personal and professional lives.
    I teach my students timelines and time management. The real world has deadlines,if we like it or not!
    Do you practice and/or inforce timelines iny your classroom?
    Thank you for your share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't teach/practice/or use timelines in my classroom much anymore but I used to when I taught writing. Whenever we did research projects I worked with my kids to discuss each area they needed to cover, and then we looked at our lab schedule (before we went to 1:1 computing last year) and together we identified which topics to focus on each day in the lab.

    I also helped students to break down the task by working on each area, such as the introduction and giving them a due date for that (after instruction of how to write one of course), each are of the paper (For explorer's it was early life, schooling, exploration, later life or something similar) and finally a conclusion. I would give them dates for each area to be due and I would grade them right away. This helped them to focus on writing skills that needed to be improved so they could make gains during the project, and not have the whole paper get docked because they kept doing the same thing over and over.

    From the feedback of other students and parents, other classes did not use the timeline and break each component down like I did and the kids and parents wish they had. My students were not overwhelmed at all by this project because it was in such manageable chunks. They were amazed by how much they had written when they finally made all of the corrections and published their final draft. They even mentioned how it helped them to have little deadlines along the way. As 5th graders, they just really haven't had much experience with allotting time for such projects and I feel the timeline was key to making it a success. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy-
      When doing reading/writing lessons timelines are very important. I completely agree with that. I do not use a timeline as much in math. I do a month broad timeline with what I want to complete.
      I have timelines for everything, all of my student work and all of my work.
      I only give homework MWF or TTH. It depends on the week and I have the schedule figured out for the year! This also helps with my tracking and the records I keep.

      I can see how your timeline with due dates would destress students and families. I would feel better, as a parent, knowing when each event id due.

      Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  3. Mindy,

    Your GAME plan sounds very good to me. Authentic experiences in the classroom can be so powerful, especially with the use of technology. That is great that you are planning on working more closely with your technology department, on a weekly basis. I know our computer lab teacher has a wealth of knowledge and experiences that our staff is not tapping into. I ask for her feedback "on the run" most of the time, because we are both so busy. I am in a PLC meeting each time my class is in the computer lab, so we do not even have time to talk then. How are you planning on making time to talk to your technology department personnel?

    Your timeline sounds great. One new strategy or resource each month, and one authentic experience each semester seems attainable. This Masters class has really pushed me, too, to incorporate more meaningful technology and authentic learning experiences into my own classroom.

    Janet Bissett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet!
      You are so lucky to have a computer lab teacher! We used to have one until I got hired at the school about 6 years ago. Now, it is up to the teachers to teach the students everything they need to know. This poses problems for a number of reasons. One of the main reasons is due to an increase in enrollment we had to get rid of or two computer labs to use as regular classrooms. 5th grade has 1:1 technology with netbooks but the other grades don't. Now they must share the high school lab with 1200 students. As a result, many don't even bother with signing out the lab or teaching their students much at all about computers. This leaves it up to 5th grade teachers to really teach the students the basics as well as numerous skills they'll need to know in order to be successful for the high school career, which is filled with technology as some courses are purely online.

      In our building of preschool-12th grade we have two tech guys. One is to keep the network running and the other one is to collaborate with teachers. I have worked so closely with them, calling them for ideas, asking to fix equipment, sharing what we're doing, asking them to assist with teaching a new software or application that most days they just stop in my room once or twice anyway. My room is currently the guinea pig room. They know if someone is going to want something working, it will be me first....and I'm willing to work through the bugs with them to help figure out what needs fixed before pushing it out to others to use. If teachers already shy away from technology, it is important that we introduce them to concepts that have already been tried and tested to try to convince them of the numerous ways technology enhances instruction and learning. Aside from these pop-in visits, I have also scheduled time for the tech guys to meet with me on my prep once a week or so. Being a part of the tech committee has really helped me to connect with one of our tech guys in particular. As a small group of us toured the state we really learned how each of us uses technology and which area is each committee member's area of strength or weakness.

      Delete
  4. Hi Mindy,

    It's great to be "back on the blogs" and I appreciated reading your thoughtful post.

    Your GAME plan sounds solid and it's evident that you are acting as a big advocate of meaningful technology integration for your colleagues. I also think your timeline for learning and implementing new resources & tools into the class is very reasonable. We are currently moving towards 1-to-1 iPads in the elementary school, so I need to set some kind of a timeline like this for myself in order to make a smooth transition as that happens.

    Thanks again for your comments.

    Chad

    p.s. Thanks for all the math resources your posted back in the spring...much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chad!
      Thanks for your reply! I agree, it is good to be using our blogs again.

      That is very exciting that you are getting iPads in your elementary school. I currently have one in my classroom that I'm supposed to use for instruction. However, sharing one can be challenging at times. I'm hoping to get a cable to hook it into my projector for the SmartBoard so kids can play apps at the board as a station.

      One app I have stumbled upon and LOVE for my 5th graders is Hands on Equations. This is an app that teaches students how to solve algebraic equations using manipulatives. My low math class was solving equations like 4x+5=3x+10 in no time!! I currently just downloaded the free trial and if you watch the tutorial videos (we just scanned to the end) it gives you 10 practice problems.

      We also love Chicken Vault (Rounding), I Tooch Recess (algebra-very basic like ___+5=6), coop fractions, meteor math, and more. If you teach writing your kids may like popplet too. It is a web making tool that allows them to have pictures, text, or videos in each area of their web.

      You are very welcome for the resources I posted in the spring. Hopefully they'll be of use to you and others. :)

      Mindy Hart

      Delete