Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Getting in the Game


      Last week I initiated my GAME plan that focuses on two technology standards (NETS-T) identified by the International Society for Technology Education (ISTE).

My two main areas of focus are:

Standard 2-Design and develop digital age learning experiences and assessments (Authentic Experiences)
Standard 5-Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership



      The second phase of the GAME plan is taking action to meet my goals.  This includes identifying the information needed to meet the goal, and identifying the resources to access that information (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009).  There are numerous ways I can access the information needed to accomplish my goals but I feel the primary way will be by using technology.  As Cennamo, Ross, and Ertmer state, “you can actually use technology to learn more about technology”.

       One way that I will use technology to develop these skills is by searching educational blogs.  A few of my favorites are:
www.freetech4teachers.com
www.ilearntechnology.com
www.assistivetechnology.vcu.edu
www.tech4mated.com/blog/
www.blog.leslek12.net/techclasslinks/fifth-grade-math-core-standards/ 

      These blogs are filled with resources for authentic learning experiences, but they also share ways to incorporate technology to take the lesson to the next level, the primary focus of my GAME plan. 
       Another way I will use technology to acquire this information is by searching for online resources.  I have found two sites (www.mathalicious.com and www.makemathmore.com) that provide a number of real-life activities for a cost.  I have made these known to my building principal, and my math committee to see if there is funding to purchase a membership to these sites.  However, in the mean time I have continued my search for free resources.
I have found a number of sites with links to activities to teach my fifth grade math content standards using authentic tasks.  Some of these are:

Another way I will work towards my goals is by attending professional development and presenting what I have learned with my coworkers.  This week I have signed up to attend the Indiana Association of the Gifted (IAG) Conference December 10th in Indianapolis.  I have attended two IAG conferences already this year and I’m eagerly awaiting this next conference.  I always look forward to returning to work to share what I have learned with my coworkers and administrators. 
I would like to find ways to work with other teachers to see what authentic tasks they have found successful but I am struggling to find anyone interested in helping me in this search.  I am the only math teacher in my grade so I do not have colleagues that I can collaborate with on a regular basis.  I have created a section on my blog for others to share their ideas, and I have emailed numerous teachers, former classmates, current classmates, principals, etc. and have only had one or two ideas shared with me.   I would love to hear any ideas my Walden colleagues have on getting feedback from other teachers.  I know there are teachers who have resources and want to help, but with the numerous mandates they put on us, they simply do not have the time.  What are your suggestions to overcome this?
In addition to finding the information for this GAME plan, I’m realizing that I’m in need of a way to organize the information in a way that resources will be easily accessible.  I can use my social bookmarking to mark pages, and I can save PDFs or Word documents in my DropBox in folders, but I haven’t really found a method that I really like.  I feel I may need to make an outline or schedule to help me remember what items I have found on each topic and a way to identify which standards these activities support. 
I am really feeling the pressure of balancing work and school right now.  I’m hopeful that my Walden colleagues will have some great suggestions on how I can improve my GAME plan, or even tips to make it a success.  I welcome any suggestions you may have. 

References:

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P.  (2009).  Technology integration for meaningful classroom use:  A standards-based approach.  (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.).  Belmont, CA:  Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

International Society for Technology in Education.  (2008).  National education standards for teachers (NETS-T).  Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-teachers

9 comments:

  1. WOW!
    Look at you go! You really did your homework. YOur links are fanstastic. I feel you have a great understanding of your concept/GAME Plan. You have done the research and know what is up! Thanks for sharing. You truly are awesome.
    Have you used the links before? or did you find them just for the GAME plan.
    I like some of the links and ideas. Most of them are above my students' ability level, however they could easily be adapted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pru!!
    Many of the blogs I have used before but one or two are definitely new to me.
    As far as the other links, I just found them during this course with the exception of the Census Math and the Fraction Unit. Real-Life activities is part of my Action Research too so I'm trying to hit it hard while I can. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NICE!
      I love how you double dose your research. That is great. I need to get on some of my research! We are fast approaching our due dates!

      Delete
  3. Mindy,

    You have done an enormous amount of research for your GAME plan! It looks like you have plenty of websites to choose from for real-life activities. The hard part might be trying to choose the very best ones. Although, perhaps your students are old enough to evaluate which activities are the best and why.

    I also have trouble trying to balancing my life right now. This Masters program and teaching school takes up at least 65 hours of my week. My friends and family do not see me as often, and I only work-out a couple of times a week. I try to make checklists to keep myself on track, but I constantly think I am going to forget to do something. The good news is we have some time to work on our Action Research projects over the Thanksgiving holiday.

    I think your blog looks fantastic, and you should be proud of all your work. Hang in there!

    Janet Bissett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet!!
      It definitely gets overwhelming at times (especially as the transition points approach) but I'm hopeful we'll all get through this successfully. I am usually at school from 7am-8pm every day and then I come home, eat supper and do a bit more work. I'm basically making up my own curriculum because our books are AWFUL and we have meetings almost every day before school, during prep, and after school. As a result, my grad work is mainly done on the weekends, at least 10 hours each day. I haven't worked out, I haven't folded laundry in weeks, and I haven't cleaned like I need to......some days simply getting in a shower makes that day a success. :P But, we are in class 8 of 10! I can't believe how fast it has actually gone. I like that it has gone fast but it also makes me panic that due dates will be here soon as well!!

      Best of luck to us all!! :D

      Delete
  4. Hi Mindy,

    Great post! I appreciated your list of educational blogs. I also read Richard Byrne's "Free Technology for Teachers" blog and get the daily updates. I have implemented a lot of the tools he suggests.

    I can also appreciate your dilemma with being the only teacher in your grade level for a particular topic. That does present obstacles when you are looking to collaborate and brainstorm with someone. I also teach fifth grade (all subjects) and have been very involved with our adoption of new standards a few years ago (aligned with common core), so I would love to exchange some ideas. I also need about 10 hours added to each day! I will look again at your sites and see where I might be able to add to your list of resources as we have taken a comprehensive approach to building conceptual understanding in our math program. A lot of what you have posted seems really awesome. Talk to you soon.

    Chad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chad!
      Thank you for your reply!
      I agree, the switch to common core has presented a lot of challenges for me. I'm slowly working towards finding better resources but would love to gain more. I look forward to sharing ideas with you. :)

      Delete
  5. Mindy,

    Thank you for sharing your links. I am also teaching fifth grade math. Do you subscribe to Tammy's Tech Tips? She has great ideas. Have you searched on Pinterest for other blogs and resources? My math curriculum is awful and I have found some great ideas on there!

    I would love to exchange ideas with you. Great job!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate!
      I recognize the name, Tammy's Tech Tips but I don't think that is one I have subscribed to yet, I'll definitely add it to my list. I have searched on Pinterest and I LOVE IT! Two of the boards I'm currently following are: FifthGradeFlock and Laura Candler. I love how following a board makes it so easy to see the resources they have recently added. I find a new idea every day. Now, these two cover more than just math, but I have found quite a few resources in these two places.

      I'd love to exchange ideas with you as well. I have a spreadsheet with a BUNCH of math games on it, maybe I'll try to email it to you and Chad. :)

      Have a great week!
      Mindy

      Delete