Monday, May 28, 2012

Thatquiz.org and Edmodo

The last few months I have been exploring how to use Edmodo effectively in my classes and I stumbled upon a site called thatquiz.org.  This site offers many quizzes for students to take and the number of questions, types of operations, and other settings are totally customizable.  I simply post an assignment telling my students what type of test they are taking (fact test-click arithmetic under the first heading, fractions-click under a different heading), the number of questions I want them to take (this is adjusted on the left side), and wah-lah.  There is a timed mode, but even if students select "no time" it keeps track of how long the test took them.  The site even offers feedback so students know instantly how they did.  At the end of the quiz a graph appears with their score information.  If students missed any questions, it shows these off to the right.  I simply have my students copy this graph (and info about the questions the missed) and paste it into their Edmodo submit assignment section.
This has worked great for those days I simply didn't have time to make a customized test.  It also has helped to keep my 5th graders honest about their scores.
I also LOVE the quiz/test feature within Edmodo that can score quizzes for you.  I use this when I have time to create my own tests.  I do a fill in the blank style test so students must type their answer instead of just clicking on a multiple choice question and the computer grades it and enters it into their edmodo gradebook.  What a breeze!  :)

I recently had students search to find good sites to help us practice our skills and they loved posting games and video clips they found useful.  This teaches them how to use the internet to find resources, and it gave them a huge list of great sources to select from while mastering that skill.

If you have other suggestions for using Edmodo in your math classroom, I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment